Monday, September 26, 2011

Geometric Fat Quarter Rail Fence Quilt

This is an exciting post because it is about a quilt project that is completely finished. FINISHED!


A long while back, I bought a roll of 8 fat quarters on sale. The colors were blues and greens with geometric prints. There were four blues, three greens, and one blue-green print (that I didn't end up using.) Later, I bought a few other fat quarters, including the two yellows in this quilt.


So I cut the FQs into strips along the short side so I could get two blocks out per strip set. I ended having to throw in a little extra green from my stash (a leafy batik print in the perfect green) but this was an easy, easy project to put together.

The dark blue plaid border and the yellow tonal stripe are both from Joann (this yellow would have been great to include in the quilt top too!) and I had a few extra blocks, so I cut them into quarter square triangles and used four of them for accents at the corners.


I cannot, however, lay claim to the ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL machine quilting. I love the spirals! I also love the yellow. It looks so neat on the dark blue border.


I also sewed on some loops to the back so I can hang it up. But I made the loops small and flat on the back of the quilt so that it can still be easily used as a blanket.

The feeling of a project being completed is SUCH a great feeling! It really makes me want to finish some other projects!

In other news, the top of the baby quilt is DONE. The plan is to get the backing this week some time (likely flannel, so its very cuddly) and then tie it next week, and bind it the following weekend!

How are your works in progress (sewing and otherwise) going?

2 comments:

  1. It looks great! The quilting is really great, wish I could do stuff like that :) Came over from SewHappyGeek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I am really happy with the machine quilting and am wishing I had the room in my apartment (and the $$$) for a long arm machine. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!