Monday, September 12, 2011

Woe is me!

At least 4 times this weekend, I have sat down to lay out the blocks from my disappearing 9-patch baby quilt and have gotten so frustrated with trying to lay the colors out, I have given up. I'm trying too keep from having too many of the same color large blocks together and from having any of the same color touch each other, except if they are kitty corner from one another. Maybe I'm just too particular for this?

When I laid out the pieces originally, just to see what things would look like it looked like this:

 Now. See how the second row down has 4 blues in a row? And see that the top right corner has three yellows touching? And there's other areas that are equally sad, especially the bottom right corner.

I think that I have created for myself some sort of impossible puzzle. Any normal person would totally just go with it and say "whatever!" if two of the same color big squares were next to each other. I am, in fact, not a normal person.

So on my table sits the pile of blocks. Haphazardly stacked together out of anger.

What do you think is the best way to go about setting up these blocks? I'm going to try to put together one long row (6 blocks) and then keep working on adding more long rows so I will only have to worry about the colors of the block above (or below) and the block to the side of the block I am trying to place. Which seems like it would be a lot simpler than working out from the center and occasionally ending up with a hole where a block should go.

Patience is a virtue, right?

4 comments:

  1. What if you switch A5 and B3? (That is the letters are going down the left side and the numbers are going across.) Does that fix it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hildreth: that would probably work, except that it would take me hours to re-lay everything out like it was before.

    Julie: OF COURSE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks wonderful like it is, but I'm a big fan of randomness. It would probably bother me if two of the same colors were actually touching, however. I would try to avoid that, but I had to "settle" for two of the same fabrics touching in a small wall hanging I did recently, and the result was still nice. I think that's one of those things that's only noticed by the actual artist.

    Have a super day!

    Jennifer Schifano Eutsler
    curlicuecreations.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!