Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Uncle Sam -- with borders!

This weekend I got the borders on my Uncle Sam wall hanging and now the top is complete!

The first border is a chevron/zig zag border that the directions said to make using the stitch and flip technique, but I decided to save myself some fabric (and time!) and used the Fast Flying Geese method instead. It turned out so fantastic!

The second border is "scraps" in the directions, but I went with 4.5" long strips of two alternating medium blue fabrics.


The outermost border is a checkerboard of the dark red and dark blue fabrics and the light fabrics. I decided to make mine with a diagonal stripe pattern with the red and blue. 


I pieced the back together with three different fabrics that I either didn't use in the project or only used a little bit of and now it is all pinned and ready to be quilted! I am not sure what kind of quilting that I want to do with this one quite yet -- I think I want to do outline quilting around Uncle Sam and the stars and a little in the borders. What do you think?

Sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

7 comments:

  1. I think echo quilting would be great! That border you added is the perfect addition :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Echo quilting for sure. Then maybe plain old straight lines through the border? This is great! So patriotic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have purchased the pattern and can't wait for it to get here. Seeing your progress makes me even more anxious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he is a cutie!I like the stars idea and either outline or a meandering design in the middle so you don't detract from the piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is very cute! I would "stitch in the ditch" only.
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great quilt! I think I would definitely echo quilt Uncle Sam and the stars, and maybe you could stitch in the ditch on the checkerboard to make a grid. It looks great!

    Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!