Monday, July 28, 2014

QCQAL Block #11 -- Missouri Star

This week we are making Missouri Star blocks!


This is a pretty traditional block but a fun one nonetheless because you can integrate quite a number of different fabrics. Check out pin-spiration here!

I've developed a way to make this block using fast flying geese and I found that it worked GREAT. You don't have to cut the tiny triangles at all! I'm planning to post another more in-depth tutorial on this new method later this week.


Cutting:
One (1) 7 1/4 inch background square for fast flying geese
Four (4) 3 1/2 inch background squares

One (1) 4 3/4 inch square -- this is your center square -- fussy cut if you so desire!
Two (2) 3 7/8 inch squares -- cut each in half diagonally once, yielding four (4) triangles
Two (2) 4 3/8 inch squares in one color
Two (2) 4 3/8 inch squares in a second color


Using your 4 3/4 inch square and your pre-cut triangles -- sew long sides of triangles to the 4 3/4 inch square making sure to trim dog-ears as you go. Trim to 6 1/2 inches if necessary.


Using your four 4 3/8 inch squares, draw lines on two of the squares and make four half-square triangles. It is helpful for these blocks to press the seam open. Trim to 3 7/8 inches.


Draw diagonals on the backs of all four of your half-square triangles perpendicular to your seams. I did not draw over the seam itself.


Line up two of your half-square triangles atop of your 7 1/4 inch background square, just as in a typical fast flying geese method. You'll want to have one color at the corners (like my pink) and the other color at the center (like my yellow).


Sew 1/4 inch on each side of the line and cut apart on the line and press.


Line up your remaining two half-square triangle units with the last two background corners with colors oriented in the same direction -- "pink" at the corner and "yellow" at the center.


Sew 1/4 inch on each side of the line, cut apart on the line, and press.


Lay out your block as shown below.


Sew together, press, and trim if necessary!


Aren't you happy you didn't have to sew all those little triangles?

4 comments:

  1. Can't believe we are almost finished, Alison!! I'm so pleased with my blocks and this one will be a good addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Alison, I am so enjoying doing this challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. hanks Alison I am so enjoying doing this challenge, will be a shame when it is over

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!