Friday, October 16, 2015

Making Fireworks

Like a lot of other quilty bloggers, right now I am working feverishly and semi-secretly on a test quilt for the Fat Quarter Shop's new pattern, Fireworks.

I was able to pick which fabric line I wanted to work with, and I picked New Bedford by Denyse Schmidt for Free Spirit.


The pattern is written to use two jelly rolls plus yardage. These rolls actually include some solids that coordinate with the line, but I won't likely use any of the solids in my blocks. This color palette is really out of my comfort zone, but I love all of the provincial feeling fabrics in this line!


The blocks are made from strip sets of 5 strips apiece and here's my first set:


Now to slice up that strip set into wedges:


Here's a little secret/hint for you: I found that if I staggered my strips by ~1/2 inch as shown above, I was able to get 12 wedges out of a strip set instead of 10 as the directions indicate. It saves you a few strips!

Here are all 120 of my strippy wedges:


Hopefully you will see this pattern up on the Fat Quarter Shop Website soon -- and hopefully my quilt will be finished just in time!

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the finished project. Stepping out of your color comfort zone is always a challenge, so kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very interesting. Good luck with your deadline.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!