Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2016 -- January Blues

This year I decided that I would work on busting some major scrap-age by participating in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.


What I really like about the RSC is that you choose your own project(s) and each month work on blocks in that month's color. That way you can make as many or as few blocks as your heart desires!

This month's color is "snowflake" -- true blue with purple accents!

For my project I am going to work my way through the original Farmer's Wife quilt.


Since there are 111 blocks and 10 months in the RSC (November and December are for quilt assembly and quilting!) I am planning to make 11 blocks each month in each color. Some of the blocks I plan to do using the paper piecing templates from the Yahoo group, but most of them I can piece and rotary cut myself.

Here are the first 9!


Row 1: #1 Attic Windows, #2 Autumn Tints, #3 Basket
Row 2: #4 Basket Weave, #6 Big Dipper, #7 Birds in the Air
Row 3: #8 Bouquet, #9 Box, #10 Bowtie

I still need to do #5 Bat Wings and #11 Broken Dishes. I waited to do #5 because its one that is easier to paper piece so I will work on that this week and will finish up with #11! 

I tried to not think too much about my fabrics other than picking out dark vs. medium vs. light and adding in a little bit of purple here and there. Some of these fabric combinations are a little out there for me, but I think it will all turn out lovely! It's used up a ton of scrap thus far and hopefully it will continue to do so the rest of the year!


6 comments:

  1. Oooh, what a fun project! I love this idea! I've never participated in RSC, but it sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks are so pretty! I can't wait to see how yours finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to find out that she is starting with blue. I got 'out of whack' last year and stopped working the challenge. Just by chance it was blue that I last worked on...and now have motivation to finish this month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great. I haven't actually done any of my January blocks yet, but I should be able to start tomorrow. I still have too many ideas for what I want to do. I think I will try a few different things and see what sticks. I have way too many scraps. Your colors look fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're beautiful!! It'll be fun to see then all together at the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blue Farmer's Wife blocks. What a great idea for the RSC.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!