Monday, January 25, 2016

Snowzilla

On Friday, you might have seen me post this picture on Instagram:



I was standing in line at the cutting counter line at Joann's to get flannel cut for the backing of my Summer Breeze baby quilt. I also picked up a cross stitch kit as a quiet project so I didn't drive my sweet husband insane with the sound of the sewing machine. Totally normal pre-snowstorm prepping activities.

I'm in Frederick, MD -- which is an hour northwest of DC and an hour west of Balitmore -- and the snow here started at 2 PM Friday and finally quit around 10 PM Saturday night. Here's what it looked like at 6 AM on Saturday in our parking lot:


And here's what it looked like Sunday at 7 AM:


Here's some pictures I took while we were digging out our cars later Sunday morning:




But being snowed in since Friday ain't bad when you're a quilter. I started working on the blocks for my Rainbow Mini Swap:


I have all of my little rainbow wedges sewn together so hopefully you'll see more of these string hexies very soon!

Stay warm and stay safe!

10 comments:

  1. Wow...stay safe and I hope it has started to melt. So right....quilters don't have a problem with being home bound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew, a sew day snow day. I would say lucky....but Yikes! Stay safely inside and sew your heart out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I wish you'd sent about a tenth of that to Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those hexies are awesome! And I'm amazed with your cross-stitch progress. The storm passed just to the south of us, so I didn't get any snow at all! (I'm not complaining.) Stay warm and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in Columbia, MD and we're snowed in for sure. But you guys REALLY got hammered. We only got 29". I started a quilt on Friday night and am almost finished with the blocks. Happily sewing away and enjoying the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hexies are cute! I am a little further to your west...in WV. We got 40 inches. I have never seen so much snow from one storm! I am enjoying the time to sew! I posted pictures at my blog at werquilters.com Thank you for sharing pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay safe. We are due to have the remnants of the storm over here in the UK today and tomorrow. It's turned into rain and wind by now though so flooding is expected. Just the right weather for shutting myself into my sewing room x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, neighbor! I'm in Smithsburg, just over South Mountain and about 10 miles east of Hagerstown. Definitely still digging out over here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Long as everyone is safe. I would love some of your snow, it is 46.5 degrees centigrade at present.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lot of snow. Looks like you got a lot done. Those rainbow blocks are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!