Friday, January 5, 2018

Claire's Butterflies {Finished Baby Quilt}

Our friends had a baby girl right after Christmas, so I needed to get moving on a baby quilt for her right away! I made this quilt for her big sister two years ago.

I decided on our Ready, Set, Soar! pattern because it's such a versatile and quick pattern. I pulled medium-toned pinks, purples, and blues from my Island Batik stash for this version. My previous version of this quilt is my Mystical Mermaid quilt. 


The top zipped together very quickly! Here's the top after I gave it a bit of a "haircut" at the bottom. 


For the appliques, I decided on butterflies and used the templates from an old issue of Quiltmaker. I used some of the leftover fabric from the colored strips as well as some dark purple fabric that will also be used for the binding.


I used a wide blanket stitch to do my machine applique. I used variegated Superior Threads Fantastico thread to do the topstitching and used 50 wt. Aurifil in a purple in the bobbin. (I find this combination is perfect for my machine!)


I prefer to back my baby quilts with flannel most of the time, and got orchid purple flannel for this quilt. For the quilting, I did the flower-like curls-and-loops motif that I also used for my Rainbow Quilt.



After a quick trim it was ready to be bound with dark purple binding.



Now it's ready to be delivered to a darling bundle of cuteness!



This has quickly become my go-to baby quilt pattern because it is so easy to customize with whatever you want in the applique section. The pattern includes an entire alphabet for adding a name or monogram! My mom has actually made EIGHT different versions of this pattern!

Quilt stats:
Name: Claire's Butterflies
Pattern: Ready, Set, Soar! + butterfly motifs from Quiltmaker
Size: 40" x 47"
Fabrics: Various Island Batiks from my stash
Techniques: Fusible/machine applique, free motion quilting
Quilting: Large swirls and loops

Sharing at Finish It Up Friday!

10 comments:

  1. Oh what a cute baby quilt for a little girl! The applique is an extra special touch. Have you ever run into fraying issues with a wide blanket stitch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The butterflies are adorable. What a beautiful quilt that I'm sure will be treasured for years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the butterflies. Have you had any problems quilting with a flannel backing? Do you pin or spray baste?
    PS: I like your new profile photo.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. So soft and sweet! It really looks great in batiks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty, and sounds like a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! Even better fast and cute! Congrats on the finish. You've got 2018 kicked off on a great note.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable! Lovely quilting and isn't it great when you find the balance that works for your machine?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute quilt, I love the soft colors and the addition of the applique!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute, cute!! I can totally see putting baby's name in the open space to personalize the quilt. Great "go to" pattern, Alison!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!